Below are some frequently asked questions:

          • How does Gilbert Scott Primary School know if children need extra help?

            Meetings are held each term to look at the progress of all pupils.

            We know when pupils need help if:

            • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child;
            • limited progress is being made;
            • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress.
          • What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

            • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns.
            • If you continue to have concerns then contact the SENDCO.
          • How will I, as the parent or carer be kept informed?

              Where there are concerns that a pupil is not making progress in key areas of learning, further assessments will take place and, as required there will be discussions with key staff to plan for additional support to be in place and the outcomes expected from this intervention. You will be invited to contribute to these discussions. Consideration of other circumstances will be taken into account to decide if difficulties are due to special needs or other factors.

              We know how important it is to include the views of each pupil in seeking to review what is going well and how they can be supported. If appropriate your child will be invited to take part in reviews. If this is not appropriate we will use other ways to share their successes and plan for future support.

              Difficulties in relation to social and emotional wellbeing may also trigger a need for additional support.

              Targets and actions to help your child overcome any difficulties will be carefully recorded by the school in a personal SEND Support Plan. This will take into account your child’s strengths as well as areas of difficulty. It will identify ways in which you can contribute to support good progress.
              Parents/Carers will be invited to review the SEND Support Plans at least 3 times a year. New targets will be agreed, along with the identification of the responsibilities of the parent, the pupil and the school.

              In some cases, it may be necessary to increase or change the nature and level of support to help your child to make progress. This may involve seeking help and advice from a range of specialist agencies such as the Educational Psychologist Services or Speech and Language Service. A referral for support from an outside agency will only be made with your consent.

              If, despite increased level and nature of support , it is evident that the severity and complexity of your child’s needs require provision beyond that can be offered by our own resources a request for an Education Health Care Plan may be requested.

              The SENDCO will explain this process to you and show you how to find out more information about this. They will also share details of parent support organisations who can offer further support as required.

          • Test and Examinations: Access Arrangements

            • For some pupils additional arrangements and adjustments can be made to enable them to fully access statutory tests. This might include additional time, rest breaks or use of a scribe.
            • The SENDCO will talk to you if she feels that your child would benefit from these additional arrangements.
          • How will teaching be adapted to meet the needs of my child?

            • Our teachers are able to adapt teaching to meet the diverse range of needs in each class. Daily planning takes into account individual pupils needs and requirements. Differentiation is approached in a range of ways to support access and ensure that all pupils can experience success and challenge in their learning.
            • Grouping arrangements are organised flexibility with opportunities for both ability and mixed setting to maximise learning opportunities for all.
            • Additional adults are used flexibly to help groups and individual pupils, with a long term goal of encouraging and developing independent learning skills.
            • If required more specific interventions are available to support groups and individuals to develop key areas of their learning and development. Details of the additional support offered to your child will be included in their SEND Support Plan.
            • The nature and range of interventions offered is reviewed regularly to ensure that it matches the needs of pupils at the school, including pupils who require support to develop their social interaction and resilience.
          • How accessible is the school environment?

            We have an accessibility plan in place to ensure that pupils with SEN and Disability can take part in all aspects of school life.

            The schools accessibility plan is updated annually and can be viewed on the school website.
            The plan also outlines actions the school intends to take to further develop access and inclusion for pupils with disabilities.

            Depending on specific needs of your child a more personalised access plan or individual health care plan will be drawn up in consultation with you. This will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis.

            We undertake additional planning and risk assessments to ensure that pupils with SEN can take part in the wide range of extracurricular activities the school offers, including school outings and residential trips.

            We monitor attendance at morning and after school clubs to make sure that pupils with SEND are able to access these enrichment activities.
            As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

            Facilities we have at present include:

            1. Ramps into school to make the building accessible to all.
            2. 2 toilets adapted for disabled users.
            3. Wide doors in all parts of the building.
            4. Stair lift.
            5. Curriculum adaptation.
          • How skilled are staff in meeting the needs of my child?

            Provision for pupils with SEND is included in our regular monitoring of quality of teaching across the school. This helps to identify priorities for our ongoing programme of CPD to support whole school inclusive practice and to support new and less experienced staff.

            All qualified teachers are teachers of children with special educational needs.

            Recent training includes but is not limited to:

            • Social Development and behaviour, for children aged 3-11years
            • Trauma-informed practice
            • Helping children who have experienced trauma
            • Managing sexualised behaviour in primary schools
            • Neglect Training
            • Online safety for children
            • Children and bereavement
            • Safeguarding Children
            • Prevent training
            • Early Years and Primary education for Learners aged 4-11yearSafer Handling Training
            • Downs syndrome training
            • Dyslexia
            • Read, Write Inc Phonics Training
            • Post Graduate National Award for SEN Co-ordination
            • Positive Behaviour Support strategies
            • Partners in Communication-ASD Workshop
            • Listening and attention skills intervention training (Speech and Language assistant)
            • Level 1 Makaton Training
            • PECS training

            The school also seeks advice and guidance from local special schools and other relevant agencies to help school staff meet the needs of each child.

            Our SENDCO keeps abreast of current local and national initiatives and policy to support pupils with SEN and shares this information with all staff.

            We encourage and provide additional time for our staff to share their expertise and discuss new strategies to support all student especially those with additional needs. We also send our staff to other schools and the Local Authority to help with tasks such as moderation.

            We have staff with specialised expertise and qualifications including:

            o Teacher with specialist teaching qualification for supporting pupils with SEND
            o A Pupil and Family support Worker who is a trained counsellor
            o Level 3 Supporting Children with specific Language Impairments in Mainstream
            o Modules 1-4 Makaton for Professionals Foundation Workshop
            o Level 1 Makaton Training
            o PECS Training
            o Learning Mentor who is currently training as a counsellor
            o Positive Handling
            o Downs Syndrome training
            o Understanding Dyscalculia (British Dyslexia Association)
            o Dyslexia Training for whole staff (Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre 2014)
            o How Dyslexia and other SPLDs impact upon Numeracy skill (2016) (Whole Staff)
            o Read Write Inc Phonics Training for all staff

          • How will I know how my child is doing?

            • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parent Consultation Sessions.
            • Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCDO by visiting the school office.
          • How will you help support my child’s learning?

            • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
            • The SENDCO may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.
            • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.
          • What support will there by for my child’s overall wellbeing?

            The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

            • Members of staff, such as the class teachers, Pupil & Family Support Worker (P&FSW) and SENDCO who are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate, mediation sessions are carried out.
            • Clubs which are available for those who find the start of the day or lunchtimes a challenge.
          • What support will there be for pupils with medical needs?

            • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Health Care Plan is compiled with support from the Health Service in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
            • Staff receive Epipen training when required.
            • Training for specific medical needs such as Diabetes, Epilepsy, Sickle Cell.
            • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
            • A number of staff have basic first aid training, including specialism in first aid at work or paediatric first aid.
          • How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

            Activities and school trips are available to all.

            • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
            • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.
          • What support from outside does the school use to help my child?

            • The school works with a number of external agencies to seek advice and support to ensure that the needs of all children are fully understood and met. These include:


            What they offer?

            Educational Psychology Service

            Our attached Educational Psychologist is: Juliette Daniel

            Depending on the concerns raised in the form, the Educational Psychologist can work in different ways.  Sometimes she will work with the teacher, sometimes with school staff and the family together. Some of the activities they do are listed below:

            □   Observation

            □   Consultation with staff

            □   Consultation with parents

            □   Learning skills assessment

            □   Cognitive assessment

            □   Assessment of social, emotional and behavioural issues

            □   Joint school/ family meeting

            □   Writing advice/agency referrals

            □   Developing a behaviour plan

            □   Setting up and reviewing SENDSPs

            □   Developing strategies

            □   Home visit

            □   Attendance at annual review

            □   Training / INSET

            □   Group work


            Chaffinch outreach Support

            They will observe pupils in school and offer advice to support the pupil and staff.

            Red Gates Outreach Support

            They will observe pupils in school and offer advice to support the pupil and staff.

            Speech and Language Therapy

            They will run advice clinics for pupils who the school and parents have raised concerns. They will then complete an initial assessment and provide the school and parent with a care plan with advice and targets. They model the targets to staff to be practised at home and school.

            Occupational Therapist

            They will then complete an initial assessment and provide the school and parent with a care plan with advice and targets. They model the targets to staff to be practised at home and school. The will advise on specialist equipment to be used in school

            CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).

            Croydon CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) offer assessment and evidence-based treatment to children and adolescents and their families who have a moderate to severe mental health disorder.

            Early Help Team

            The family solutions service will work closely with internal and external services and agencies to provide the most appropriate response to children and families co-ordinated through a lead professional (family key worker) in the family solutions service.

            The full range of local support available to support your child both within and outside of school can be found in  the Croydon Local Offer for pupils  with SEN:



          • How will the school help my child to move to a new class / year group or to a different school?

            Children and young people with SEN can become particularly anxious about starting school or moving on to a new class or school. The school will seek to reduce any anxieties and ensure consistency of support by:

            When joining the school in our Reception/Nursery classes:

                • The SENDCO and or EYFS staff will contact the pre-school setting to seek information about the nature and level of needs for pupils identified with SEND and the provision that has already been offered to overcome these barriers. If the pupil has more significant needs and/or has support from other agencies this may include more formal transition meetings where needs and the nature of provision are fully documented and more detailed arrangements may be required.
                • EYFS staff will also make home visits.

            When moving to another school:

                • We will contact the School SENCO and share information about special arrangements and support that has been made to help your child achieve their learning goals
                • We will sure that all records are passed on as soon as possible

            When moving between classes and phases:

                • An information sharing meeting will take place with the receiving teacher.
                • If appropriate there will be opportunities for your child to visit the new class and meet the teacher and other key staff

            When moving to secondary school:

              • Our SENDCO will make contact with the Year 7 leader or SENDCO once a school has been named to start planning for transition.
              • Multi-agency meetings maybe arranged to create a more detailed transition plan. Successful arrangements and interventions currently used to support your child can be shared with the receiving school and additional visits to the new setting may be planned to help you child become familiar with the new setting and to reduce any anxieties.
              • Your involvement in this process will be critical to supporting a successful move.
          • How does the school involve children and parents in decisions about provision and support?

              On an individual level, the school values the views of both parents and children in both identifying key strengths and areas of need as well as planning and reviewing provision.

              We will ensure that parents and pupils (as appropriate) are included in regular review meetings to discuss progress and plan provision. Where this is not possible or where more regular updates are required we will agree with you the best way to share information.

              We will use one page profile and other media to ensure that the views of all pupils are captured so that their achievements can be celebrated and needs fully understood.

              For Year5 and 6 pupils with SEND, including those with EHC plans, the SENDCO will encourage parents to visit a range of secondary schools, attending open days and finding out about how each school organises SEND report.

              At whole school level, the school are also keen to support parents with pupils with SEND and take their views on how we can continue to develop a positive experience for SEND pupils at our school.

              Activities have included:-

            • Coffee morning for parents with Speech and Language Therapist
            • Availability of SENDCO at parent consultation evenings to discuss any issues.
            • Inclusion of parent representatives to update Quality Inclusion Mark.
            • Annual parental and pupil surveys to take views on current SEND practice and recommendations for further development.
        • What should I do if I am unhappy about the support my child is receiving?

            In the first instance you should speak to your child’s class teacher. Opportunities are made to speak to the class teacher every day after school or contact the school office to make an appointment

            Depending on the nature of the concern the SENCO and other senior leaders may attend this meeting or subsequent meeting.

            If you are still unhappy and feel matters are unresolved and we feel that we are fulfilling our duties in respect to your child, we will recommend you seek further advice from the local SENDIAS (SEN Information and Advice) and Mediation Services This service is not linked to the school.

            The school can also make arrangements for parents to discuss concerns with other key professionals such as the educational psychologist.

            If your concerns are still unresolved we will advise you to make a formal complaint and direct you to the School Complaints Procedures on the website.

            If your concern is directly related to decisions around an EHC plan assessment of needs or provision this will be managed directly by the Croydon SEN team. Parents will be contacted directly by the service to receive information about the mediation services and other action you may consider.